Tuesday 26 April 2016

Practical Development. Ougd401


Starting of developing some ideas for my practical I knew I wanted to use edited imagery, I had some stock photos of gangs of youths which could represent students and protesting, I knew I should use the colour red as it is a common reoccurring theme with political designs. I mocked up this poster using a relevant modern day protest quote which I found whilst researching. It was a start off point yet I felt it was too busy, I then thought of the styles used for the protests in Paris in 1968 and the simplicity and striking style they used. 


This is an image taken from the student protests which lead to the London Riots in 2012. It shows Charlie Gilmour, son of pink floyd lead singer, Gilmour has become iconic in the riots, most famously for swinging on the union jack at a cenotaph in London. This image depicts Gilmour waving a flag which reads revolution, if his identity could be to some extent obscured I could use the image as a metaphor for all students who are protesting or revolting against the established order. Again I edited the image to make it red to keep with the correct aesthetic of a protest piece.


I decided to use a coloured stock for my design so began mocking up more thought out designs inspired by the French posters. I looked at using a light pink stock to make the red and black screen printed image more bold, pink would also represent peace and calm to provoke a sense of peaceful protest. The image I have used is the one of Charlie Gilmour, not only have I turned it red but I have also cute it into long strip sections to represent oppression and students being told to conform. The quote I have used is one used in 1968 'Sois Jeune et Tais Toi' which translates to 'Be Young And Shut Up' a strong quote which is still relevant today as the conservative government continue to tamper with the education system and not expect backlash. I decided to create a fake protest event for art students (using leeds college of arts name) as it was the art students in '68 which instigated alot of the protests as they created the silkscreen posters which became iconic.

I continued to experiment with layout and form to test out which would be best continuing to use the type and image I had produced. Yet still felt that the image I had used was making the piece to busy and too obscure to be totally clear legible. I felt that I needed to make it more simple.








No comments:

Post a Comment